Thursday, October 20, 2016

Whose Hair Is This?!?!

Let me set the scene:

Late morning. Tuesday. Weather is drizzly. Room is messy. Culprit is seven and sassy.

The girls are at school and I'm putting some clothes away. MM's dresser has two long, narrow drawers at the top that are good for nothing. Especially when you're a kid and can't reach them without a step ladder. I wondered what she's put in them and as I slowly opened the drawer and peeked inside....

What?! Horror!! What is this?! WHOSE hair is this?!?!?!



Now, let me take a step back and tell you a story. Once upon a time, there were two little girls. These girls loved scissors. These girls loved their hair. But these girls never once in ten years cut their very own hair. They cut lots (and lots) of paper. But hair? No. Why? It's a mystery. A blessed Christmas miracle of a mystery.

One day (two months ago) the seven year old girl, who had long, thick blonde hair, decided she wanted bangs. She begged her mom and her mom, being the mean old thing that she is, said, "No."

Oh, the wailing. Oh, the frustration. Oh, the seven-year old's determination to be her own person. She decided to take matters into her own scissor-wielding hands. She found the sharpest, shiniest scissors around and.... snip! Now this girl wanted bangs, but she wasn't as bold as she thought (and feared her mother's wrath) so instead of cutting all of her hair, she cut one 1/4 inch wide piece, but only a half inch from her scalp. 

The effect? Ridiculous. The punishment? Ridicule. (Not really, but some definite sighing and exasperated, "What did you do, that's sticking straight out of your forehead now!!" comments.)


This is after two months of growing out...
Did she learn her lesson? Yes! 

The End.

Or was it....

Fast forward out of the story to Tuesday. The messy room, the drawer, the shock... The HAIR. You remember, right?

My heart started pounding and I started wondering. Did I see her, I mean really SEE her this morning? Was I paying attention to her head? What was she was wearing today? It was shoes with a hole in the toe, no socks and shorts when it's pouring down rain - I was looking at that instead of her head, wasn't I? Was it all a deliberate ploy by her so I wouldn't look at her head?!? Oh man. She's not that devious!

I started frantically searching around her room for some explanation. I opened the closet and... 
The After

AHHHHHH!!!!!

Wow! Well, hmmm. This Barbie Styling Head used to have enough hair to actually.... style. And there's another doll next to this, also with some very short hair pieces, which I think the ponytail have actually may have come from. Barbie's hair is so weirdly shiny and sleek, it doesn't quite match. But, wow! That IS a haircut she gave Barbie!

The Before


Well, I know we've been more lucky than some families in the child-haircutting department. And thank goodness that:
A. She's not devious!
B. I'm not so oblivious that I didn't notice that much hair missing from her head when she left for school!

And, you know, Babs doesn't look so bad. Maybe she's got a future as a stylist!

No comments:

Post a Comment