Monday, March 11, 2013

Apjfelfj, Mildskfjal, Breskfjaf

The title of this post is very similar to what I see when I'm in the grocery store trying to figure out what the heck I wrote on my list. I don't know if it's the Age of Computers/Devices that has created the downfall of the (actual) written word or what, but I can never find a pen, my hand starts cramping, and in the end I can't read it anyway. I'm out of practice.

This is why I don't journal on paper. Wait, that's not true. This is one of the reasons I don't journal. I can type waaaaay faster than I can write and I'd need several of those wonderful pink pearl erasers to fix all the mistakes that a quick hit of the backspace key does so beautifully.

I tried to find my old journals/diaries from high school. (Mom: did you ever read these?! Never mind, I don't want to know.) I think they're in the attic since I searched everywhere for them in the house. I'm a little nervous about not knowing their exact whereabouts, but I'm too terrified busy to go up and check the attic. Anyway, I stopped writing in my diary when I was a senior in high school. So... 20 years ago. (You did the math right: I graduated when I was seven. I'm brilliant like that.)

I'm pretty sure I actually started each page with "Dear Diary," and if I missed a day I couldn't just go on, I had to make up each day I'd missed, trying to remember what happened. I have issues. The books are mostly filled with which boy I had a crush on, occasionally highlighted with many smiley faces and exclamation points as I told of a crush who said, "Whoa, Amber!" to me in the hall as I tripped in front of him. Eeekkkk! He talked to me!! He knows my... oh, who cares. He talked to me!!!! :) :)

Online diary-ing (Wait, that isn't a word and it sounds really bad. Let's change that to journaling.) is so much easier! Especially when I'm not recounting the super boring details of each day pretty much for my future self, since it had strict instructions for anyone who wasn't me to never, ever, EVER open those sacred pages. Here would be a sample of my written diary if I still did it today, and had a translator for my handwriting:

Dear Dairy,
Today was almost exactly like yesterday. I wore a gray shirt instead of black, though. You know me, I like to change it up! The girls got ready for the morning with minimal nagging, yelling and grumpiness, so that was good. We got to school on time but Monster Me was mad because Adventure Girl wouldn't give her a hug goodbye. AG was mad at MM because she wouldn't stop singing when SHE wanted to sing, and MM got more slug bugs on the way to school than her. MM and I went grocery shopping, but I couldn't read half of what was on my list, so for dinner we had tacos with no shells, lettuce or taco meat. Bummer. Kind of. We DO like cheese... That's about it! Talk to you tomorrow!
Love Always, Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment