Friday, March 8, 2013

Blah, Blah, Blog

Never in my life did I think I would write a blog. There are several reasons. 

When I think of blogs:
1. I think of people showing off their big bad crafty selves.
2. I think of people writing a version of their family's Christmas letter every few weeks for others to read.
3. I think of it as an article that is polished and professional.
4. I think of it as something helpful for others - teaching them something.
5. My husband says it's egotistic to think others want to read what we write.
6. I really don't like the word blog.

I'm not crafty, I hardly ever read people's Christmas letters (sorry!), I'm not polished (except my toes), and I really have nothing to offer except maybe a chuckle or two - I'm totally ok with it being at my expense. My husband is very loving, but I don't really care what he thinks. Ok, that's not true at all. He just doesn't see the benefit of social media. And all I hear when I think of the word blog is Blah, Blah, Blah - who cares!

So. That being said, here I am! Ha! This started at 2am when I couldn't sleep after I caught my 6-year old (literally) as she was sleep-walking off the top bunk. Phew! I wanted to write about it because I thought you all would laugh, but fb didn't seem the place to express everything.

I love telling stories, but unless I'm reading them I shouldn't do it out loud. Ask my sister or anyone who's tried to listen to me stop, start, start over, get sidetracked, order a coffee, start snorting with laughter, and in the end forget the punchline. Not joking. And... I'm a little socially awkward (it's ok, you can agree!) unless I REALLY know someone. I don't do small talk well. I do better when I can type, erase, and figure out what I'm really trying to say so I don't forget the punchline.

I've been told here and there throughout my life that I have an engaging writing style (my college geography teacher said I should write for an Oregon geography publication - thanks, Mr. Wolfe!) so I hope if you choose to read my ramblings that you're engaged. Otherwise, move on and learn a craft from someone else's blog!

I have no agenda. You're welcome.

3 comments:

  1. Love it...maybe we could find a better word than blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job, Amy! Welcome to the blogosphere! What do you think of that awful word? I kind of hated blogs until I started blogging myself. I do write with an agenda, hoping, along with many other bloggers, to increase my writing cred in the hopes of attracting a publisher for my more thoughtful work. But, amazingly, it's also really fun. Looks like you're off to a good start!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sarah! I really enjoy your blog, too : thepracticalhistorian@wordpress.com. Everyone should check it out! It's funny and educational! I'm not good at writing fiction or I'd figure out some way to make money doing this... :)

      Delete