Monday, March 11, 2013

The Silly Bugs Are Coming!!

The Silly Bugs are visiting my little Edie (MM if you only read the first couple of posts!) on her birthday eve (tonight!) and she is very excited!

What are the Silly Bugs? Well, I'm glad you asked! When my brother, sister and I were growing up, the Silly Bugs would visit us during the night before our birthday. We'd leave a little treat for them and they'd play very silly tricks on us. Not sure why we left the treat if they still messed with us. Maybe it could have been worse...

When we woke on that magical morning, our room would be transformed with trickery. Balloons may have covered our floor, streamers hung from our doorway, crumpled newspapers filled our shoes and once my room was a maze of string tacked wall-to-wall so I had to climb through it all to get out. They always left us a Hapy Burfdy note written in silly writing, spelled incorrectly as a bug is wont to do. When I was out of high school and was living in Ireland for two years, missing my family on my birthday, I got a package and the Silly Bugs had somehow slipped a note and gift in there for me without my parents noticing! It totally made my year. I love my family.

This was such a big, memorable, fun part of my childhood that we decided to continue inviting the Silly Bugs to visit our children. When they turn four, the Silly Bugs start visiting. Edie is going to experience her first visit this year and she's very excited!!  Here are some pictures from last year's visit to Julianne on her 6th birthday.




The note Julianne left for them. 


  


They had drawn all over the mirrors in the bathroom!



The Silly Bugs left a silly note on their easel. On top of the kitchen table!




Her bed was decorated with streamers! 



The hallway was filled with balloons and streamers and they had to fight their way
through!



  


If you have a little one and would like to start this cool tradition, but don't know how, just say the Silly Bugs heard about your kiddo from Edie and Julianne and thought he or she was so cool and fun, they decided to come visit on the special day! I'd even be happy to send a little note saying he or she is on the burfdy list! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment